Our professionals from Munich are active in the open source area since 1991. We advise companies on the use of open source software when it comes to optimizing their innovation and product development. We help with the strategic use of Open Source technologies in software development with the goal to sustainably increase the innovative power of your company and to reduce development costs in the long run. We make sure that you make the right choice regarding your planned goal.
Typical tasks for us are
- Development of Open Source Strategies
- Introduction of suitable open source tools for development (e.g. Git, Jenkins, Ansible, Redmine, Drupal, Ruby)
- Code analysis with specialized tools
- Support of the team in operation, e.g. administration, release management, improvement suggestions and service control
- User training for the use of Open Source Software
Profit from our knowledge in Open Source software
- Open Source software is much easier to implement than proprietary software tools.
- Open Source software offers the best possibility to scale up quick.
- Open Source software guarantees more security than proprietary tools.
- Open Source software licences are mostly free of charge and helps you to reduce your costs up to 50% even if you spent money on implementation, consulting, support etc
- Open Source software is the best way to test something new. Because it’s quick and easy to install, has in general no time limitation if you use it and can be tested extensively and cheap - even if you would switch to something else afterwards.
Open Source versus proprietary software solutions
Many decision makers even don’t know that there is an equal open source solution for almost every commercial product on the software market. For those we do offer the following list of well-known proprietary products and a possible Open Source candidate to do the same job. Our focus lies on professional solutions. For some mentioned technologies we do offer professional services, products or support.
|Function||Proprietary software||Open Source solution|
|Data bases||Oracle||PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hadoop|
|Web server||Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS)||Apache web server, Nginx|
|Application Server||Oracle Application Server, IBM Websphere||JBoss, Tomcat|
|Virtualisation||VMware||KVM, VirtualBox, OpenStack|
|Continuous Integration||Bamboo, TeamCity||Jenkins|
|Project management and bug tracking systems||Jira, Remedy||Redmine|
|Team work and Wiki||Confluence||Redmine (Wiki), MediaWiki|
|Security, Encryption||TrueCrypt||GPG, OpenSSH, OpenSSL|
|Content management systems (CMS)||SiteCore, FirstSpirit, CoreMedia||Drupal, Joomla, TYPO3, Wordpress|
|Source code management||Bitbucket, Stash||Gitlab, Redmine with Git hosting support|
|System software||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X||Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, SUSE)|
|Web analysis||Google Analytics||Piwik|
|File upload / document management||Dropbox||Sparkleshare, OwnCloud|
|Office Suites||MS Office||LibreOffice, OpenOffice|
|E-Mail communication||Microsoft Outlook||Firefox Thunderbird|
|Image editing||Adobe Photoshop||GIMP|
|*) All mentioned names, brands, trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.|
Important reasons why you should use Open Source software
- Open standards
- Community knowledge
- Cost reduction
- Service and software company independence
Source: Open Source Study from Switzerland 2015, according to swissICT and /ch/open