Often Redmine users get administrator privileges because an area they are responsible for cannot be accessed. This is unfortunately a common practice in many companies. Assuming to support the administrator, this procedure can cause problems and dangers for the system and the data security.
Redmine user administration via the HRM area
The Redmine HRM Plugin allows even users without administrator rights access to the Redmine user administration. For example, employees from the personnel department (equipped with appropriate rights) can create, edit or block user accounts for new employees, customers or external service providers without access to the admin area, as well as manage the information contained therein.
If the HRM Plugin for Redmine is installed and configured in the plugin settings, the Top-Menu or App-Menu of Redmine contains the HRM item. This can be accessed by authorized users.
You can give the following authorizations to a user type so that its assigned user can act accordingly in the HRM area. Or get access to the information of the other Redmine users:
- View HRM: Displays the entire HRM area including all users, user performance, user groups, attendances and supervisors.
- Show attendance: Display attendances of all visible users. You can view your own attendances without this right. Supervisors can also view the attendances of the users to whom you are assigned without this right.
- View superiors: Display superiors of all visible users. The user sees his or her own superiors without this right. A user’s supervisors can see for which users you have been assigned, even without this right.
- View groups: Display groups of all users in the user profile of the respective users.
- View admin / user type (Read access)
The following actions require at least View HRM permission:
- Manage users (add, edit, lock)
- Manage groups (add, edit, delete)
- Manage working time calendar (add, edit, delete)
- Manage holidays (add, edit, delete)
User management HRM plugin
Employees who are allowed to access the HRM area in order to manage user accounts and information must have at least the following HRM permissions:
- View HRM
- Manage users
This is already sufficient to enable personnel department employees or project managers to create new Redmine users or edit existing users with the HRM plugin.
Advantages of the HRM Plugin User Administration
The Redmine HRM Plugin extends the basic installation of Redmine with numerous additional functions. Here are a few advantages, which the HRM Plugin brings especially for the user administration.
|User management||Redmine Basis||HRM Plugin|
|Clear table view|
|Access also as non-administrator||-|
|Own HRM area & permissions||-|
|Quick user search via Live Search||-|
|Numerous filters and options for meaningful user reports||-|
|User list export (XLSX, CSV)||-|
|User account as central contact point of all user related informations||-|
|Detect users who are no longer active (last connection)||-|
|and much more ...||-|
Online Demo: Resource Planning
If you want to learn more about the user management of the Redmine HRM plugin, have a look at our plugin online demo. There you can test all functions of the Redmine resource management. More information is also available on our product page.
The HRM plugin is an extension of the Redmine standard installation. By using it you can connect your employee data in a meaningful way and evaluate available resources - project-related and cross-project, as well as user-related. The Redmine HRM Plugin is our resource management solution for Redmine. It is designed for flexible and agile teams and supports self-management due to integrated automatisms. More infos and details on our Plugin home page: Redmine HRM Plugin